Buying a Motorcycle
Spring is here – and for you, that means the bike is coming out of the garage. As the days get longer, and the sunshine more reliable, there’s nothing like the winding roads in the country, the small roads along the coast, enjoyed on two wheels with the wind in your face. You can’t wait to get out of your car for the freedom of your motorcycle.
You just want to be back in the saddle, and after a couple of road trips, everything falls back into place.
You are a safe rider. You wear your helmet. Leather gear, even in 80 degree weather. You had to take the CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) course. Granted, that was a few years ago…
Then, there is the insurance. That’s the one… Motorcycle insurance.
If you own a Motorcycle, it’s important to have the right insurance. To protect yourself. So before you get ready to chase the wind, give us at Crosby Insurance Brokers a ring 0191 565 7590. We can provide you with quotes, policy advice, and answers to questions like these:
- Is my motorcycle covered under my car insurance?
- Why should I buy Motorcycle Insurance?
- The most important protection on your Motorcycle Insurance policy.
- How can I get a discount on my motorcycle policy?
- What about insurance for mopeds, scooters or Quad bikes?
Is my motorcycle covered under my car insurance?
You have your driver’s licence, and just passed your motorcycle Test. Finally! You are more than ready to ride with your friends. You now have your bike ready, gleaming, and ready to go and have some fun. Now it’s time to take her out.
You need Motor Cycle Insurance cover which is compulsory legal requirement.
Don’t make the mistake to assume that your car insurance will cover your motorcycle, or provide liability cover if you hurt somebody or damage somebody’s property. Your car insurance will absolutely not extend to your motorcycle. Also, it will not apply for you, if you cause injury or damage while riding your motorcycle.
Your car insurance and your motorcycle are completely separate, and will absolutely not apply for each other.
Don’t make the crucial mistake to assume that your car policy might protect you. It won’t.
If you own a motorcycle, we strongly recommend that you get a stand-alone motorcycle insurance policy. Give us a call. We can help.
Why should I buy Motorcycle Insurance?
Congratulations on your new bike! You must be thrilled!This is it. It’s the bike of your dreams all right! A Harley Davidson Classic Road King. Black Pearl. Chrome details. 1,593cc. You’ve been waiting to get this bike for years… and now she’s about to become yours. You can’t wait to get on and scorch some asphalt.
You hadn’t planned on spending extra money on insurance, though. But now that you’re about to own this baby…. Well, it seems to make sense to protect her properly.
Then again, the odds that a biker is considered at fault in an accident are quite small. What does a motorcycle insurance policy cover, anyways?
Motorcycle insurance is quite similar to an car insurance policy. It includes various covers:
- Bodily Injury / Property Damage Liability Cover: This cover applies if you are considered at-fault in causing damage or injury to another road user, passenger or pedestrian known as the (third party). This is the basic cover you can but Third Party Only, it allows you to be street legal and on the road for the minimum cover required by the Road Traffic Acts.
- Comprehensive / Collision Cover: This cover pays for repairs to your bike if it is damaged in an accident, if it’s stolen, or, for example, if it’s damaged or destroyed by a fire. Embedded within this policy is Third Party Only cover also.
- Custom Parts and Equipment: This cover provides protection for accessories and ‘extras’ to our bike, other than those originally included by the manufacturer. It also covers sidecars, trailers that are intended to be pulled by a motorcycle, custom paint jobs, safety riding gear and helmets, and trike conversion kits.
- Roadside Assistance: Provides immediate roadside repair services for break-down, dead battery, flat tyre, or running out of fuel, and towing.
Even though the odds of being at fault in a multi-vehicle accident are very low for motorcyclists, liability often doesn’t clearly lie with the other party, either. And even though bikers are often the victims when it comes to cycle – car collisions, it doesn’t mean that you don’t need liability insurance. What if you hit a bicyclist or a pedestrian? What if you accidentally scratch a car as you back out of your parking bay?
Motorcycle insurance will help protect you, your bike, as well as your assets in case you ever find yourself in an accident in which you are at fault or partially at fault. You can be sued. Crosby Insurance Brokers can help you protect almost any type of motorcycle, whether it’s a Dirt Bike or a Street Cruiser, a Vintage Classic Motor cycle or a customised high-performance machine. Give us a call!
The most important cover on your Motorcycle Insurance policy.
Since your friend David lost his leg, you’ve become more apprehensive. On a bike, it’s easy to feel free. Invincible, even. But many car drivers don’t turn to take that extra look. They don’t watch out for anything smaller than their own vehicle. They look for big things.
That’s how David was hit. Got swept right out of his lane by a Van driver, whose driver was too preoccupied texting while passing another car. Luckily, David survived… barely. His leg didn’t.
The guy who hit him didn’t have insurance. David did, he was savvy enough to include Legal Protection Insurance to his policy and it was his Legal Protection Insurer who helped take care of the medical bills, physical therapy, and the months he was without a wages.
David's accident taught everyone in the their group a lesson. Since David’s accident, you’ve vowed to become more motor cycle-smart and get your stuff in order before you take off again. Get motorcycle insurance from Crosby Insurance Brokers.
As you shop for your motorcycle insurance policy, keep in mind that cheaper isn’t always better when it comes to insurance. And especially motorcycle insurance policies are not’t always what you expected when you paid the premium. You also want a policy that protects you when you need it. Cheap cover usually provides you with low limits, and, what’s worse, with the most important cover completely missing:
We have reviewed countless policies that did not include Comprehensive cover. Yet, this is probably the single most important part of a motorcycle policy. (Legal Protection Insurance in a non-fault accident paid for David in the example above. Without it, he would have had to find his own Legal Representation who would have taken up to 25% of his claim as their fee.)
Not having Comprehensive cover can hurt you quite badly. Here’s why:
As a Motor Cyclist, your risk of being at-fault in an accident is comparatively low. But, your risk of getting hit is relatively high. That’s where your Comprehensive cover applies.
Your Comprehensive cover kicks in if you are hit by a driver who doesn’t have the insurance or resources to pay for your damaged bike. If the person who hit you doesn’t have the money to pay for the damages they caused you, your own insurance will protect you. But only if you have the right insurance. This is what your Comprehensive cover does for you.
Now, don’t get us wrong: We are not saying that Third Party Fire & Theft or Third Party Only cover is not necessary for Motor Cyclists. Actually, it is very important to have adequate cover to protect yourself and your assets if you are at fault in an accident and cause damage to another party.
To sum it all up: You want Motorcycle Insurance so you can protect yourself! Whether that is a liability lawsuit, or an irresponsible driver who hit you. Because a driver who isn’t responsible enough to look for motorcycles on the road might not be responsible enough to carry adequate insurance.
Give us a call today 0191 565 7590. We can help you find a motorcycle policy that provides you with the protection you need, while giving you the best value for your money.
How can I get a discount on my motorcycle policy?
Now, you’ve heard that you can get money-saving discounts on car insurance That makes you wonder… Shouldn’t you be able to get a discount on your motorcycle policy, as well?
Yes you should! And you can! Depending on the company, a variety of discounts are available:
- Claims-Free Discount: If you didn’t have any claims or accidents during the previous policy period, you qualify for this discount when your policy renews.
- Homeowner Discount: If you own your home, you qualify for this discount. Why? Because insurance companies assume that if you own a home, you are a responsible person. Responsible people are responsible drivers (or riders) and deserve a discount.
- Multi-Policy Discount: If you have more than one policy with one company, you may qualify for a multi-policy discount.
- Safe Driver Discount: If you’ve been cruising without accidents or losses for 1 year, you qualify for this discount.
- Security Discount: You can save on your motorcycle policy if your bike is equipped with good quality security systems including tracking system.
- Safety Course Discount: Completing a Safety Course can save your life. And offer you a discount on your motorcycle policy.
- Good credit score: more & more insurers are using credit scoring as a means to calculating a premium, if you have a good credit history more insurers will provide discounted premiums
Some companies might give you a discount if you keep your bike in a garage or out of sight, or if you use chains or other Anti-Theft devices to lock it down.
Keep in mind that your insurance rates depend on your bike’s type and brand, its engine size, the level of customisation, and the miles driven. A customised motor cycle machine that you use to commute to work will bring you much higher insurance bills than a vintage cruiser that you only use every now and then. As you search for your perfect bike, keep these factors in mind to avoid unpleasant surprises.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call should you strike a deal with a buyer but just check with us first how much it is going to cost to insure the bike before you finalise the deal.
What about insurance for mopeds, scooters or Quad’s?
Now that you’ve found the bike of your dreams, you got your wife hooked: She’d like to do her smaller, around-the-town errands on a little scooter, rather than in the car. Not only does it save fuel, but it also gives her this lifestyle feeling as if she were living in a small town in Italy.
Well, you can’t blame her. You knew all along what riding on two wheels can do for your soul.
Question is, how do you insure the little scooter? Does it qualify as a motorcycle at all?
Yes it does! Mopeds and scooters (electric and petrol-powered) can be insured on a Motorcycle policy. All the same discounts and options apply for big bikes as well as smaller mopeds and scooters.
Quad bikes, on the other hand, take a special place. An Quad bike may be covered on your homeowner’s policy, but only if it’s driven exclusively on your own property. There is absolutely no coverage if you take the Quad bike off your property and drive it on public roads… even if it’s only across the street. If there is any chance at all that you might take your Quad bike to a dirt track, into the hills, or elsewhere, you should get Quad bike insurance.
We can help with any of it. Just give us a call 0191 565 7590.