Buying a Motorhome or Campervan

Ah! The beauty of Motorhomes & Campervans! You get to have a different view outside your bedroom window every day (if you like). Wake up to the sounds of mountain streams or crashing waves, birdsong or trees swaying in the wind. Discover wildlife, explore nature, or simply sit in the sunshine. And if it’s raining? You sit under your awning. And when it’s too cold? You go inside. And the best part of it all? You get to sleep in a comfortable bed at night. YOUR bed!

A Motorhome or Campervan can take you all across the country, without you ever having to leave the comfort of home behind. Traveling in a Motorhome or Campervan – whether it’s just for the weekend, or for months on end – allows you to get just the right amount of adventure that you crave. What could be better?

But to keep the adventure in check, it helps to be prepared. A good Motorhome or Campervan Insurance plan goes a long way in giving you the peace of mind that allows you to truly enjoy your travels. After all, your isn't just any vehicle. It’s your home on wheels. Call Crosby Insurance Brokers for a customized Insurance plan that provides you with the protection that your home away from home deserves.

Can my Motorhome / Campervan be covered under my Motor Insurance policy?

You and your wife made the decision to buy. You’ve been dreaming about it for years now, and you finally made it come true. Since it is likely to be your retirement "vacation home", you’ve invested in a higher-end model and asked for a few extras.

Now comes the question: How to insure it? It’s a vehicle, so can it be added as another “car” to your motor policy? Then again, it’s most definitely not just a “car”'s so much more than that. Plus, you will be carrying so much more stuff…all the stuff that makes it a home. So, perhaps a stand-alone insurance policy might be better. You do I insure my new RMotorhome or Campervan?

Well, first, congratulations on a lifelong dream come true! This is a great way to see the country. And it only makes sense that you will want the best protection for your new investment.

It is not true that this type of vehicle can be added to a Motor insurance policy. We strongly recommend a stand-alone Motorhome insurance policy because it provides much broader coverage.

Ah! You may think that a stand-alone policy must come at a much higher price, too? But not always! In fact, in many cases, a stand-alone policy actually costs less than many standard motor insurance, although it provides broader cover.

Give us a call 0191 565 7590! We have many options, and we will customise a plan that protects your new investment at the best value for your pound.

What does an Motorhome insurance policy cover?

A policy is very similar to an motor/car insurance policy in that it provides some of the same coverage's as your car insurance, just adapted for the larger size (and the usually higher cost for repairs) of an Motorhome. Here they are:

  • Bodily Injury / Property Damage Liability: This cover pays for any damages or injuries that you cause to another party
  • Emergency treatment Payments: This cover may be used to pay for your necessary medical expenses in case of an accident regardless of who is at fault. You can select the amount of coverage that you like.
  • Comprehensive / Collision Coverage: Pays if your RV is stolen or damaged in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.

In addition to these, Motorhome Insurance provides extra coverage that applies specifically to the size and exposure of a Motorhome:

  • Roadside Assistance: If you break down and needs to be towed, it can trigger major efforts and huge expenses. After all, this is not a car. It likely requires a semi-truck to be towed, which can cost you a pretty penny (often several hundred, if not a thousand, pounds). Your vehicle policy is made to cover bigger expenses for Roadside Assistance and towing.
  • Emergency Expense: This coverage is automatically included with Comprehensive / Collision coverage and kicks in to cover the cost Hospital Emergency attendance to be called following injuries to you or your passengers.

Does my Motorhome insurance cover me outside the UK?

Plans are made, the new GPS is installed, and your bags are packed. You are planning on spending the summer road-tripping with your RMotorhome. Travelling all over the UK and maybe even Europe! Oh, all the things that you’ll see! You even plan on writing a blog about your adventures!

Except, three days before your departure, it hits you like a ton of bricks: Is your Motorhome covered in Ireland or France? Or only in the UK?

Your Motorhome Insurance extends to the United Kingdom and , its Territories, like the Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Northern Ireland. That means you have cover to the full extent of your policy if you travels to these places.

If you drive elsewhere things are a little different: Your liability coverage does extend to all EU Countries and some non-EU Countries but only provides the minimum legal requirement for each Country and this varies from Country to Country. If you plan on taking your Motorhome to Europe we can extend your full Comprehensive UK cover but please check with us first as there may be an additional premium to pay depending on how long you are away and which countries you are visiting.

What if I use my Motorhome for several consecutive months at a time?

You and your spouse love your Motorhome. It was probably one of the best investments of your lives! You are not quite ready yet to give up your house to live in your Motorhome year-round but you sure love the life on the road that allows you to travel to places, see the country, and visit friends.

So...that’s what you do! Every year, you are sure to take 3 or 4 trips, spending 6 to 8 weeks traveling with your Motorhome each time.

You have homeowner’s insurance for your little house in the suburbs (your command central that allows you to plan the next trip). And, you have insurance to cover your ‘home on wheels’. Is there anything else that you should know?

Yes! If you are traveling with your Motorhome for longer periods of time, you should consider two aspects:

  • Liability: Imagine your vehicle is parked at the camp ground, where you peacefully stoke your fire while your wife reads a book, when you hear a scream, a thunk, and a rumble. And it sounds like it’s way too near!

    You drop your stick and hustle over to your Motorhome, when you see the little girl, screaming in pain, blood running from a wound in her head, and a little bent pink bicycle a few feet over. Evidently, the little girl came down the hill too fast, wasn’t able to stop, and ran straight into your vehicle.

    The good news is: The situation looks much worse than it is, and the little one got away with just a broken arm and a few bruises. No concussion.

    The not-so-good news is: Since she ran into your Motorhome, you are liable. That’s what Liability is for. It can protect you if you are held liable for bodily injury or physical damage to another person. Cover is £5 million in the UK but higher limits are available for a small extra charge.

  • Personal Effects Cover: Personal effects Contents cover protects your personal property that you take with you on your trip (all your luggage, sports gear, camera, electronics, jewelry, or other items that are not part of the basic installed equipment of your Motorhome) If you have homeowner’s insurance, your homeowner’s policy will extend to cover your personal belongings, normally up to 30 days. If you plan on taking high-value items that exceed this limit, consider Contents Cover for your Motorhome. (Keep in mind that your TV, oven, and other built-ins are actually not part of your ‘personal property’ but are considered built-ins and are covered under your Motorhome insurance)

Give us a call 0191 565 7590 before you take off and we’ll be happy to review your policy and make suggestions for adequate insurance protection.

What if my Motorhome is my primary residence?

Your dream has come true! You’re free! Free as a bird! You can go wherever you want, whenever you want, because your home is on wheels. Don’t like the weather anymore? Move on! Ready for a new view? Find one you like!

No longer are you bound to a house that comes with chores and maintenance! From now on out, your Motorhome is your only and primary residence! How cool is that?

Congratulations! You are brave! The step from settled to nomadic life is not easy…We admire you for your courage!

It is somewhat more rare for folks to take this jump, but it is not unheard of: A number of insurance companies are prepared for this question and offer adequate protection plans for people like you who decide to make your Motorhome your home.

If you use your Motorhome as your primary residence, a Full Timer’s Package will provide you with the coverage you need: This package offers protection for your Motorhome that’s similar to a homeowner’s policy, while accommodating the ‘moving’ lifestyle.

For more information, please give us a call 0191 565 7590. We are happy to help!

My friends and I bought an Motorhome together. Can we get an Motorhome insurance plan that covers all of us?

There are four of you – yourself, your wife and two great friends...a couple you have been close with now for 57 years. The four of you go way back. You’ve always enjoyed each other’s company and all you’ve always dreamed about owning an Motorhome.

Neither one of you had the money or vacation time to justify such an investment in the past but now that you are all approaching retirement it’s a different story.

And the more you’d been chatting, the more the idea materialised in your minds: Why not buy an Motorhome together?

If you are thinking about purchasing an Motorhome or Travel Trailer together with a group of friends, you are not alone. The legislation in the UK relating to the Motor Insurance Data Base requires that the policy is in one name only and the address that it is usually kept. The Data Base is used by the Police and the DVLA to identify uninsured motorists, therefore there has to be one person who is responsible for the vehicle, in the event it is not insured or involved in an accident. Joint name policies are not available in the UK.

Call the experts Crosby Insurance Brokers at 0191 565 7590 today and we will help you to customise a plan that works for all of you, while giving you the protection you need.