For the Best Price Ring 0191 5657590
Modified Car Insurance
When people think of modified car insurance they tend to think of street racers with fancy alloy wheels or vehicles that have been specifically customised in order to take part in races. What they may not realise is that a lot of people who have modified vehicles do so because they specifically want to improve the performance of a vehicle. Therefore it is best to choose a modified car insurance UK provider who understands your needs.
Assumptions and misconceptions
The problem with a lot of standard insurers is that if you ask for cover for a modified vehicle they will assume it has been modified because you want to show off the car. They will assume that this improved performance means you are more likely to speed and therefore are more likely to cause accidents.
This is especially the case if you are a younger driver. There is the fear that someone young with a modified vehicle wants to speed around as much as possible. While it is true that a lot of young people do this it is not necessarily applicable to every young driver who has had their vehicle modified.
Another misconception is that if someone modifies their vehicle that it is more likely to be stolen. This assumption can lead them to increase their anti-theft cover as they worry that people will covet this stylish souped up machine.
In reality car thieves are more likely to target ordinary looking vehicles that they can sell on without attracting too much attention. A specialist modified vehicle insurance provider will be aware of this and their policies will often be more cost effective than those who do not understand the need of a modified vehicle driver.
There is the worry that a specific tailored insurance policy will be more expensive. This does not necessarily have to be the case. While insurance can be expensive there are a number of ways that you can reduce the costs involved with driving.
- Limited mileage - If you do not drive your car very often then a limited mileage policy can help save you money. If you do not drive your vehicle very often then it is less likely to be involved in an accident and your policy should reflect this.
- Voluntary excess - Agreeing to an excess can reduce costs. However remember to budget carefully so that if you are involved in an accident you don’t end up with a repair bill you can’t afford!
- Black box - Fitting a black box allows the insurer to record details about how you drive your vehicle. This can reduce the costs of your premium as it gives more accurate information about how you drive, amount of mileage and so forth, resulting in premiums that are better to suited to the reality of how you drive your vehicle as opposed to theory!
- Additional driving lessons - This is especially useful if you are younger driver. As well as improving your driving experience it also shows you have a commitment to driving carefully. As this is likely to reduce risk it means you are more likely to save money when you ask for a quote for your specialist cover.
- Declare every single modification - It doesn’t matter if the modification doesn’t improve performance. If you declare them all then you ought to be able to get like for like replacements, saving you money in the long term.
- Join the club - Being part of a club or driving association is often a good indicator that you are passionate about driving your vehicle. You could reduce the cost of your premiums by up to 15% so this is worth strongly considering!
- Day cover - If you only use a vehicle for a rally or other special event it is possible to get single day track cover.
- Security - Storing your vehicle in a garage, getting an alarm and fitting an immobilizer can all help to reduce premiums as they all reduce the risk of the vehicle being stolen. Furthermore check to see if you are based in a Neighbourhood Watch area as this can often reduce costs as well!
In simple terms standard cover is not enough if you own a modified vehicle. You can end up paying out unnecessarily for cover that is not suited to your needs. However this cover does not necessarily have to be expensive. We can help find the policy that is best suited to you rather than being based on assumptions about the vehicle you drive.
If you want to know how to save money on your policy and want more information about the best policy that works for you contact us today and see what we can do for you!